Over the past 40 years, the role of the federal government with all aspects of the economy and business has grown and every sector of the economy is affected by governmental action. Congress and the Executive Branch, through legislation, regulation and enforcement actions have a larger and more pervasive impact on business than at any point in the history of the nation.
It is not possible for business to ignore federal action as an element of the business environment. Often, federal policy and regulatory actions can dramatically alter a business plan.
Organizations that recognize the real and potential impact of government on their operations and strategy can gain a competitive edge, blunt a regulatory threat or advance a product/ policy. To do so, they must approach their federal strategies with the same level of expertise, experience and rigor they bring to their business strategies.
Because few governmental actions occur in isolation, FaegreBD Consulting approaches its work with the federal government with a full understanding of the interplay of legislation, regulation and agency actions that impact business. We build our strategies upon a base of expertise equal to the policy/regulatory climate, assembling for each assignment a team that is immersed in substantive knowledge, informed by years of experience and attuned to the interplay of policy, politics and relationships.
FaegreBD Consulting is among the largest of the federal affairs organizations in Washington. Operating as a division of the law firm, Faegre Baker Daniels, the FaegreBD Consulting team has been working on behalf of clients since 1985. The team of more than 40 professionals is bi-partisan and includes leaders from the House of Representatives, the Senate and federal agencies. With work history spanning six administrations and multiple changes in congressional leadership, the team has the experience to adjust to changing regulatory and policy climates and the depth to offer substantive expertise across a broad swath of issues and industries.
While skilled and successful in dealing with emergencies and single threats, the firm may be best known for its strength at long-term service to clients (there are clients who have been with us for 25 years) and for the development and support of policy and regulatory coalitions.
Our work incorporates all aspects of legislative representation, including:
- Formulating and executing congressional and regulatory strategies
- Lobbying members of Congress, the Executive Branch and their staff
- Working hand-in-hand with Congress and federal agencies to guide and develop legislative text
- Drafting comments and other formal correspondence on proposed regulation
- Drafting witness testimony and assisting with preparation for hearings
- Testifying before congressional committees
- Building coalitions among parties with shared objectives
- Fostering public support for clients' initiatives
- Continuously monitoring legislative activity and keeping clients informed about the status of legislation or any impending legislative developments
- Advising clients on compliance with the Lobbying Disclosure Act, gift rules, and federal election laws
In addition to work with the United States government, the January 2012 merger, of Faegre & Benson with Baker & Daniels to create Faegre Baker Daniels has brought together capabilities in Asia and Europe that allow the firm to address regulatory and policy issues on a global basis.