Nick Manetto designs, directs and implements successful public policy advocacy campaigns. With more than a decade in government affairs, public policy and strategic communications, he is an experienced strategist in the process of high-stakes initiatives from start to finish.
Nick manages client teams and projects focused on health care delivery and payment models, biomedical research, drug development, and public health. His work spans projects focused on Congress, as well as federal departments and agencies. Frequently, initiatives include a public or media component through crafting and placing op-eds, designing and launching campaign websites, and a variety of traditional and new media strategies and tactics. Many of these projects are coalitions designed to bring multiple diverse voices to bear behind an issue.
Collaboration With Federal Departments and Agencies
Nick has led or supported efforts that have resulted in the enactment of legislation into law, that have secured funding or other federal support for a cause and that have advanced the overall goals and objectives of multiple clients. He has deep expertise and relationships with many key congressional committees as well as experience working successfully with many federal departments and agencies and non-governmental organizations focused in health and biosciences, including:
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Center for Medicare & Medicaid Innovation (CMMI)
- Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)
Strategic Communications Campaigns
In addition to government relations and advocacy expertise, Nick leverages his experience as a congressional press secretary, campaign manager and professional journalist to design and implement strategic communication campaigns, including crafting and refining messages, developing content and engaging the news media with a focus on health and education policy press. As leader of FaegreBD Consulting's strategic communications team, he also supports clients in navigating crisis situations by coordinating and developing public responses and by designing proactive crisis communications plans.
Before joining FaegreBD Consulting, Nick served as a legislative assistant and press secretary to a senior member of Congress and managed two successful re-election campaigns. Before coming to Washington, Nick was a staff reporter for The Times newspaper in Trenton, New Jersey, where he covered a variety of beats, including politics and elections, courts, county and local government, and education.
- National Pediatric Research Network — Managed coalition leading to enactment of the National Pediatric Research Network Act (PL 113-55) to enhance NIH support for pediatric research infrastructure.
- Medicare Care Coordination — By collaborating with diverse group of clinical organizations across the country, helped develop and advance an innovative research model to more quickly and efficiently implement and evaluate care coordination strategies for Medicare beneficiaries so those found to be effective can be implemented widely. Concept was included/reflected in the Affordable Care Act.
- Medicare Payment Reimbursement — Helped lead a coalition of hospitals in west Michigan, facing the loss of hundreds of millions of dollars in Medicare payment, to successfully petition for an increase in Medicare payments that more accurately reflected the region's labor costs, preventing losing more than $280 million in Medicare reimbursement and allowing hospitals to expand care options for area patients.
- Drug Development and Discovery — Lead advocacy efforts to advance research in diseases or conditions that have limited or no therapies or treatments today, including Alzheimer's disease, Muscular Dystrophy and others.
- Media Relations and Message Development — Secured media hits in national, regional and trade media, including the USA Today, CBS Evening News, Associated Press, Wall Street Journal, Education Week, Roll Call, Inside Health Policy, Philadelphia Inquirer, Baltimore Sun, Christian Science Monitor and Newsday.
- Media Mentions and Publications — A spokesperson and thought leader on health public policy issues with comments in leading magazines and publications, including HealthLeaders Media and Inside Health Policy; published articles in Law306 Health and the DC Captive Insurance Newsletter; presentations at national conferences; and frequent author of FaegreBD Consulting client updates and the Beyond Healthcare Reform blog.
- Rep. Christopher H. Smith (R-NJ)
- St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Herndon, VA — Lector
- The College of New Jersey, School of Culture & Society — Alumni Advisory Council
- Archdiocese of Washington — Strategic Communications Advisory Committee for Papal Visit to Washington, D.C., 2008
- Catholic Charities Archdiocese of Washington — GED Teacher
- Catholic Charities Archdiocese of Washington — Volunteer Strategic Communications Advisor